Job Title: Nurse - Tripoli
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Tripoli, Libya
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. The IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC is working in Libya since August 2016, targeting the most vulnerable non-displaced, IDPs, refugees and migrants in hard-to-reach areas. According to assessments, healthcare is considered the priority need in Libya, most urgently in terms of quality health staff, medicines and supplies. There are significant gaps in the response, according to Libya’s Ministry of Health (MoH), the Libyan Red Crescent, UN agencies, and international NGOs. IRC’s team in Libya has the specific goal of reaching those in the hardest hit areas to beneficiaries of all ages and gender, both Libyans and third-country nationals. The health activities will be focused on supporting essential primary health care. The reproductive health activities will specifically target women and girls.
Under the supervision of the Medical Team Leader, the Nurse is responsible for:
· Assessing the conditions of the patient, initiating medical attention and performing the role of registered nurse
· Handle the triage role of patients based on the initial assessment.
· Aiding physician as required during treatment and examination;
· Updating patients’ registration books and other related appointment information;
· Maintaining and reviewing patient records, charts and other pertinent information relating to HIS;
· Maintaining patient confidentiality;
· Performing other related duties within the clinic as may be assigned.
· Preparing and facilitating regular health education sessions for patients at the clinics in coordination with the clinic staff.
· Assist other program staff whenever needed.
The Nurse will not be line managing any internal staff. S/he might supervise and train volunteers to provide healthcare in supported PHC facilities, if needed.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Medical Team Leader
Working Environment: This position will be based in Al-Khoums, Libya.
· Bachelor or Diploma (2-3 years) degree in Nursing with a valid practice license from Libyan Ministry of Health
· Minimum of two years of experience working as nurse in a hospital or primary health care center.
· Knowledge of professional nursing theory and practice to give and evaluate patient care.
· Relevant experience working at NGOs with similar role is an advantage
· Good understanding of the principles of health care services levels and diagnostic procedures.
· Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with daily travel to different field sites in Misurata
· Capacity and flexibility to work under pressure and difficult conditions
· Effective team player with public interest driven orientation
· Basic skills inMicrosoft Office particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
· Self-directed, able to independently set priorities and solve problems with minimal guidance
· Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills in both Arabic & English
· Understand IRC Way, standards for professional conduct; Integrity, Service, Accountability